Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Fit for Spring


It is HERE! Alright, officially it is not here till the 20th and, actually, it doesn’t really feel like Spring outside right now. However, make no mistake, it is SPRING! March is coming in like a lion but in a few short weeks it will be out of here like a lamb and I am ready. I am no longer content to sit on my sofa all day wrapped in a Snuggie. I can feel the pull of the outdoors, bare legs, and flip flops.
I am always tempted at this time of year to panic. Oh No! Bathing Suit season is only months away. Oh No! My shorts shrunk in storage. My general routine is: First, to panic. Next, go on a diet that I can’t possibly maintain. And, finally, start an exersize regime that should only be attempted by a tri-athlete.
Not this year though! This year is different. I have learned my lesson. Panicking doesn’t solve anything, I cannot stay on any diet that does not allow a glass wine on girls’ night out and although I am fit, I am no tri-athlete. This year the key word is baby steps.
My first baby step is my diet. While I cannot deny myself a glass wine or a really good cheesecake, I can enjoy all the wonderful things Mother Nature gives us this time of year. Already my fridge has made a marked transformation from being filled with frozen dinners and comfort foods, to being stocked with fresh fruits and vegetables. This doesn’t feel like I am denying myself anything since I really did miss peaches this winter, and strawberries, and blueberries. . .

Step two is exercise. Instead of embarking on any routine (the word itself makes me bored before I begin) I am just going to do what comes naturally. A warm day calls my soul outdoors anyway: a walk with my family after dinner, a Saturday bike ride, and maybe even a hike to enjoy the gorgeous new palette of Spring.

The truth is change doesn’t come without action but this year I want my changes to stick. So I am making them one step at a time. Longer days and warm rays of sunshine are on their way. Old Man Winter is heading off to hibernate and Mother Nature is about to bless us with gorgeous new flora and fauna. So again, IT IS HERE! No panicking. Let’s Celebrate!

No comments:

Post a Comment